It was many and many a year ago in a kingdom by the sea, that a maiden there lived whom you may know.

Wednesday, February 10

Oyamel









I've been very fortunate in that i've been to some amazing restaurants over the past few months. Was Oyamel on my list New Years list? I don't know, but I loves me some Jose Andres. Megan and I went on a whim during DC restaurant week. The decor was clean, interesting and colorful and the tables were pretty intimate, perfect for the date night Megan and I had planned. It's also located right in Penn Quarter near a ton of shops and the verizon center (i'm always amidst Caps traffic).

My Menu

Drink: Ponche. Pretty unimpressive, but it was just too cold to get a Margarita. It sounded like a Sangria formula with wine, tequila and fruit, but it honestly tasted like lightly flavored water.

To Start: When we sat down at the table they brought us chips and salsa, which had hints of coffee in it.

Dinner: Oyamel is a small-plate restaurant, so we had a choice of 3 entrees and a dessert. My first entree was a mexican squash casserole. It was a squash sliced and topped with crumbled queso, crushed peanuts and hibiscus dressing. The flavors were interesting but it's nothing I would ever order again. My second entree was scallops. They were seared, topped with pumpkin seeds and garnished with pumpkin seed sauce and orange segments. Though the presentation was really interesting, that's ultimately why i put that picture at the top (and i took it from yelp because when mine uploaded it was too brown), I could have done without the garnishes. The scallops were, however, cooked perfectly and melted in my mouth. The third entree was a choice of a soft-shell taco. I had a classic beef taco, the beef was amazing. It was simply topped with fresh salsa. Megan had a mushroom and guacamole taco, which was better than mine.

Dessert: Amazing. It's not on the menu anymore (I went to look it up to make sure I got it right) but maybe they will bring it back for the sake of mankind. The dessert was a chocolate custard with fresh pomegranate seeds mixed in. The custard was topped with a dark chocolate sorbet and coarse sea salt. CHOCOLATE AND SEA SALT TOGETHER IS AMAZING. This was really the stand out for me.

So all in all very good, I thought Megan was going to die because she was so full, she couldn't even finish her last two plates (pish-posh, i was fine).

No comments:

Post a Comment