It was many and many a year ago in a kingdom by the sea, that a maiden there lived whom you may know.

Tuesday, June 28

Frustration in Black and White


This is the black and white concept for my collage project.
I decided to focus on the idea of a frustration with technology, which is ironic because most of that frustration burgeoned from the digital design class itself. Tinkering, constant tinkering, it never felt quite right. The outcome was never worth the effort and the motions would be convoluted to the point where I was almost thankful my Photoshop shut down. Frustration, with more than just technology. More than the endless updates, the amassing of unread messages, the repetition, more than the dwindling attention spans and the repetition.

I'm not sure what they say your life is supposed to be like after you've graduated college, but to me it seems like a lot of frustration. Maybe frustration is not a perfect word, perhaps paralysis is more apt. I feel like a computer that has frozen, unsatisfied with my last action but unable to move forward. It's a time of uns, a time of compromise when I feel like I should be building up the foundations of a good life. Each decision is seemingly weighted like an anchor to my future. People keep telling me I have a lot of time left to find where I belong, but that is not a consoling thought. To me, time seems to be growing exponentially smaller, as if you could mark it on a ruler until I only have an eighth of an inch of time left.

The phrase "trust the process" comes to mind. It's hard not to look at everything as a mistake, but rather as an exploration. Taking the digital design class was not easy and ultimately wasn't something I decided to pursue, but I took the chance. I think maybe this time in my life just takes some bravery (and a lot of Trader Joe's wine).

No comments:

Post a Comment