It was many and many a year ago in a kingdom by the sea, that a maiden there lived whom you may know.

Tuesday, June 15

Please call Stella.

Dialects are fascinating. One of my family's favorite things to do is make fun of my dad for saying things like WaRshington and quote our neighbor across the street who is from Mississippi (and ridiculous).

George Mason hosts a Speech Accent Archive that allows you to listen to dialects within different languages, i linked the English section. Be warned, it's fairly addicting. My favorites are #6, #15, #42, #335 and #5 (this last one because i've never met anyone raised in fairfax, va with an accent like that, though i wish i had).

Each person reads the same 3 sentences: Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

I'm really hung up on the blue cheese. Who needs that many slabs blue cheese and what for?

4 comments:

  1. That is awesome! How'd you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alli sent it to me. Isn't it wild?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LISTEN TO THE ONE FROM YORK! I want that accent! Bummer about the lack of a jersey or philadelphia example but perhaps as the project gets bigger they'll get more samples. Also, I dont know if everyone has heard my impression of African people speaking but it is EXACTLY THE SAME as the Zulu one. Just sayin..

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THAT MUCH BLUE CHEESE!!! I could put it in salads, quesadillas, sandwiches. And also didn't know snow peas were measured in spoons??

    ReplyDelete