It was many and many a year ago in a kingdom by the sea, that a maiden there lived whom you may know.

Monday, March 21

The Baltimore Aquarium

Pescavorian

Never Smile at a Crocodile

On Friday Drew and I went to the Baltimore Aquarium. This is important to you for two reasons (1) It is only $8 Fridays after 5 and stays open until 9 and (2) They have tons of sting rays, which I love.
There's also a big orange octopus, sharks, a sloth and dolphins (supposedly).

Don't leave during rush hour and don't visit when you're thirsty. Do be aware if you go on Friday, you are going to be pushing wide-eyed kids out of the way to see the seahorse.

Driving through Maryland I can only see it as the sum of its stereotypes. It's hard to imagine the place as anything other than a giant factory that spits out drugs, crabs and fratty dudes, no thanks to The Wire and the various lacrosse tournaments, I'm sure. This is why I'm always surprised when people praise Baltimore and why I rarely, if ever, make the hour trip North. Yet every time I go it suprises me. The Inner Harbor is a little touristy but Fell's Point nearby, well, that's pretty touristy too but it's so nice to be near the water on a beautiful day.

I'm going to make an effort to remember that this is a state of abundant but runty crabs, cheap crack and Sperry Topsiders, yes, but it is also home to the Renaissance Festival, charming towns and a giant sea turtle with only one flipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment